Pantry essentials

There are a few things (and by few I mean many) that I always keep in my cupboard and fridge. These are simple things that can be the base of a recipe, can add essential elements to a dish or can create a whole meal.

Pantry
  1. Good quality olive oil- You don't have to spend up big to get a good quality olive oil but keeping one on hand can transform any dish from making a basic soffrito to dressing a salad.
  2. Maldon sea salt- this is the creme de la creme of salt. It's crunchy, light and it's easy to control the amount you add. 
  3. Lemons- I am OBSESSED with lemon. I put it on everything, it is my absolute favourite ingredient. 
  4. Garlic- I always keep fresh garlic in the cupboard as well as a jar of chopped garlic in case f emergencies or if I'm being lazy.
  5. Chilli- This can be dried, pickled, in a paste or fresh. 
  6. Tinned tomatoes- I would go through at least two cans of tinned tomatoes per week. They're cheap, they're full of nutrients and they can be added to a multitude of dishes.
  7. Dried pasta and rice- Spaghetti is my favourite but I also like to keep penne in the cupboard. When it comes to rice, I make a lot of risottos so arborio is always there along with brown and basmati rice.
  8. Noodles- I love vermicelli noodles but often I have soba, udon and dried egg noodles.
  9. Miso paste- perfect to smother over some salmon or eggplant before roasting in the oven or simply for a cup of miso soup.
  10. Spices- Spices can be the life of a meal so try to keep the essentials in your cupboard such as paprika, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, turmeric and ginger. 
  11. Sauces- I have an unnecessary amount but I'd always recommend soy, tomato, mayonnaise (Kewpi if you're being fancy), fish and Sriracha. 
  12. Butter- I love butter so much even though it tends to have a bad reputation. Is there anything better than a slice of buttery toast?? 
  13. Herbal tea- This is basically for the hygge factor but I can't be without herbal tea.

Fridge
  1. Cheese- I always have parmesan in my fridge but also love a bit of cheddar, ricotta, cottage or halloumi depending on my mood that week. 
  2. Yoghurt- 0% fat, 0% sugar Greek style yoghurt is my jam. It's great for smoothies, dips, curries and eating straight out of the tub. 
  3. Tomatoes- I think I was Italian in a paste life because I cannot stop eating tomatoes. This is purely by preference and may not to be everyone's tastes and cooking habits but I love them so much so they're always in my fridge. 
  4. Anchovies- Not everyone's cup of tea but these bad boys blend into a dish in a subtle way and can really deliver big flavours without tasting fishy. 
  5. Eggs- I eat eggs most days and use them in a lot of my cooking so I make sure to have plenty at all times. 
  6. Milk- I always have cow's milk in the fridge but will also always have a dairy alternative such as almond or coconut but always unsweetened. 
Freezer
  1. Spinach- Frozen spinach is amazing for curries, soups, pastas, smoothies and stews. It's super cheap and lasts forever. 
  2. Bananas- If I ever have any bananas that are getting old (which is rare because I eat so many of them) I simply peel them and keep them in a ziplock bag to use in smoothies and cakes.
  3. Bread- I always have a loaf of sourdough and a loaf of brown bread in the freezer. It keeps for so long and it means there's no wastage when you buy a whole loaf and can't finish it. 

Garden

On my window sill of my tiny London apartment I have coriander, mint, rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme and chilli. I use them all the time and it is so much cheaper and more convenient than buying your own herbs.

Comments

Popular Posts